Call us today: 01722 322683

Right to Buy Mortgage Advice

Right to Buy Mortgage Advice

Do you live in a Council House which you would like to buy? Are you looking to find out more about whether you could afford to do this? We’ve got you covered with Right to Buy Mortgage Advice. We can help you do all the calculations to find out what your discount would be and the amount you can borrow as a mortgage. We also know what criteria you need to meet in order to be eligible for the scheme. Get in touch today and take that first step to owning your home.

Right to Buy Mortgage Advice

How does the Right to Buy Scheme work?

Right to Buy is a Government Scheme which gives Council Tenants the chance to buy their homes. It is only available for Council Tenants living in England.

You might find the scheme useful if you’ve struggled to save up a deposit for a house in the past. This is because you will be offered your home at a heavily discounted price and this discount can then be used as the deposit or part of the deposit.

The amount of discount you will receive on your property depends on where you live, how long you’ve lived there and the type of property you live in. For example, you will get more of a discount in London and you will get more if you live in a flat.

You can then apply for a mortgage in order to fund the rest of the house purchase. We can help you understand what you can afford to borrow and how much your monthly repayments are likely to be.

Not all lenders allow for Right to Buy applications. And some expect you to provide some deposit on top of the discount. We will let you know which lenders work for your situation. We have access to specialist lenders, exclusive deals and lenders that aren’t available to you directly.

Speak to us today for expert Right to Buy Mortgage Advice and see whether we can make your dreams to own your home a reality.

Contact us

Key points to remember

How do I apply for the Right to Buy Scheme?

In order to apply for the Right to Buy Scheme, you have to meet certain eligibility criteria.

You can apply to buy your council home if:

  • It must be your only or main home
  • The property must be self-contained
  • You have a “secure tenancy”
  • You must have had a public sector landlord for at least 3 years

The first step to applying is to complete a Right to Buy application form and to send it to your landlord. Your landlord then has 8 weeks to send you an offer for your property.

If you are applying for a mortgage, you will also need to meet your lender’s affordability criteria. We can help you understand how much you can afford and talk you through the whole application process.

Get in touch today for expert Right to Buy Mortgage Advice.

Contact us

Meet the team

Our small, friendly team is based in the heart of Salisbury, Wiltshire. But we can help you no matter where you live in the UK. Sometimes it’s nice to put a name to a face. So if you want to find out more about Your Mortgage Expert, visit our Meet the Team page.

Our team has:

  • Over 80 years of experience in the mortgage and protection industry
  • All members of our customer facing team have mortgage qualifications
  • We have over 100 five-star reviews on Google
  • Have helped hundreds of First Time Buyers get the home of their dreams

Contact us

  • Dan Harris Mortgage Adviser

    Dan Harris - Mortgage Adviser

    Dan Harris first started working in mortgages in 2004. Since then, he has helped lots of First Time Buyers. Dan has great attention to detail and will work hard to ensure you get the best recommendation.
    Email Dan
  • Adam Nanson Mortgage adviser

    Adam Nanson - Mortgage Adviser

    Adam Nanson has worked in the Mortgage Industry for over 20 years. His friendly approach will mean you'll understand the complicated bits. He'll cut through the jargon and get the home of your dreams.
    Email Adam

Contact us

"*" indicates required fields

Monday to Friday: 9am – 5.00pm, Saturday and Sunday: Closed

We will use your name, email address and contact number (‘personal information’) to contact you about the services you have requested or respond to an enquiry you have submitted, which will require us to share your personal information with financial institutions who can assist in the provision of financial services to you including product providers, lenders, banks, insurers, fund managers, platform providers and third party para-planners. For further information on how your information is used, including disclosure to third parties, how we maintain security of your information and your rights in relation to the information we hold about you, please see our Privacy Policy:

Your Mortgage Expert is a trading name of Your Mortgage Expert Limited which is an appointed representative of Mortgage Advice Bureau Limited and Mortgage Advice Bureau (Derby) Limited which are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Registered Office Address: 18 New Canal, Salisbury, England, SP1 2AQ. Registered in England Number: 08924507.

Sorry to see you go

Please note, by clicking on the link you will be departing from the regulated site of Your Mortgage Expert Ltd. Neither Your Mortgage Expert Ltd nor Mortgage Advice Bureau are responsible for the accuracy of the information contained within the non-regulated site.